LAWYERS FOR MIDWIVES
We assist midwives facing complaints, discipline hearings, and other regulatory issues at the College of Midwives Ontario (CMO). The lawyers at GlickLaw have acted as external legal counsel for years to numerous health colleges governed by the Regulated Health Professions Act (“RHPA”) and have significant experience in professional regulation and discipline. Draw on our knowledge and experience to respond to complaints and investigations, defend yourself against allegations of professional misconduct, or deal with any other issue you may be facing with your regulator.
We can assist and act for Midwives on a wide range of matters including:
- Responding to complaints and investigations at the College of Midwives Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (“ICRC”);
- Representing midwives in hearings before the College of Midwives Discipline Committee or Fitness to Practise Committee;
- Appealing decisions of the ICRC to the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”);
- Representing midwives in hearings and reviews of Registration Committee decisions before HPARB;
- Appealing decisions of HPARB, the Discipline Committee or the Fitness to Practise Committee to the Divisional Court;
- Representing midwives in criminal or quasi-criminal proceedings under the Criminal Code or Provincial Offences Act;
- Representing midwives in applications and civil litigation before the Superior Court of Justice;
- Assisting midwives in applications for registration and in making written submissions to the Registration Committee;
- Assisting midwives with audits and quality assurance programs;
- Advising midwives on compliance with the RHPA, Midwifery Act, 1991 and other relevant legislation and regulations; and
- Advising midwives on professional practice issues, such as record-keeping, privacy and confidentiality, and reporting.