LAWYERS FOR OPTICIANS
We assist opticians facing complaints, discipline hearings, and other regulatory issues at the College of Opticians of Ontario (COO). The lawyers at GlickLaw have acted as external legal counsel for years to numerous health colleges governed by the Regulated Health Professions Act (“RHPA”) and have significant experience in professional regulation and discipline. Draw on our knowledge and experience to respond to complaints and investigations, defend yourself against allegations of professional misconduct, or deal with any other issue you may be facing with your regulator.
We can assist and act for Opticians on a wide range of matters including:
- Responding to complaints and investigations at the College of Opticians Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (“ICRC”);
- Representing opticians in hearings before the College of Opticians Discipline Committee or Fitness to Practise Committee;
- Appealing decisions of the ICRC to the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”);
- Representing opticians in hearings and reviews of Registration Committee decisions before HPARB;
- Appealing decisions of HPARB, the Discipline Committee or the Fitness to Practise Committee to the Divisional Court;
- Representing opticians in criminal or quasi-criminal proceedings under the Criminal Code or Provincial Offences Act;
- Representing opticians in applications and civil litigation before the Superior Court of Justice;
- Assisting opticians in applications for registration and in making written submissions to the Registration Committee;
- Assisting opticians with audits and quality assurance programs;
- Advising opticians on compliance with the RHPA, Opticianry Act, 1991 and other relevant legislation and regulations; and
- Advising opticians on professional practice issues, such as record-keeping, privacy and confidentiality, billing and insurance, and reporting.